Thailand May Scrap 2026 World Cup Broadcast Plan Over High Costs
Thailand may skip purchasing 2026 World Cup broadcast rights due to prohibitively high costs, with the government citing fees that are 10-20 times higher per capita than other nations and lack of corporate sponsorship support.
BANGKOK — The Thai government may withdraw from purchasing broadcasting rights for the 2026 FIFA World Cup because the asking price is too steep to justify to the public, government minister Supamas Isarabhakdi announced Tuesday. The tournament will be co-hosted by the United States, Canada, and Mexico from June 11 to July 19, 2026.
Supamas said Prime Minister Srettha Thavisin wanted Thai citizens to have access to watch the tournament. Last week, the Cabinet instructed the Public Relations Department to explore funding options with state agencies, private companies, and the National Broadcasting and Telecommunications Commission, which had supported previous World Cup broadcasts.
However, circumstances have shifted since the last tournament. Regional instability in the Middle East and unfavorable match scheduling are expected to erode advertising revenue and commercial opportunities, particularly for restaurants and businesses that depend on live event screenings.
When asked about Thailand's quoted price, Supamas said the exact figure cannot be disclosed due to FIFA's non-disclosure agreements. However, she indicated the proposed amount was difficult to defend publicly.
Supamas noted that Thailand, with nearly 70 million people, has been quoted a higher total price than countries with populations approaching 1.5 billion. On a per-capita basis, Thailand faces charges 10 to 20 times higher than some other nations.
The government recognizes Thailand's economic challenges and prioritizes public welfare, Supamas explained. The licensing fee is too expensive, and unlike four years ago, no private sponsors have committed financial support this time.
Match schedules are less appealing to advertisers, making commercial sales more difficult. In the previous World Cup cycle, both the broadcasting regulator and private-sector sponsors contributed funding. Currently, no major corporate partners have agreed to participate.
Regarding alternatives, Supamas said officials are exploring FIFA's reported offer of pay-per-view streaming or limited highlight packages of five to 10 minutes, though specifics remain uncertain.
Asked if the public should abandon hopes of free television coverage, Supamas said while time is limited, the government remains open to private companies that might see the project as a business opportunity.