PM deflects constitutional amendment restart to parliament, declines to confirm old draft expedited timeline
PM Anutin deflected responsibility for restarting constitutional amendment proceedings to parliament, declining to confirm whether the expired draft would be expedited or a new process initiated.
At 11:00 AM on May 13, 2026, at Don Mueang Royal Thai Air Force Base 2, Squadron 6 in Bangkok, Prime Minister Anutin Charnvirakul and Interior Minister gave an interview regarding clarity on the constitutional amendment draft confirmation due to expire on May 14. He stated that Pheu Thai Party's stance must align with public wishes. When asked if the referendum results from over 20 million votes would prompt the draft's reratification, Anutin responded that all processes begin at parliament and should not be tied to the government, as that belonged to the previous administration. The constitutional amendment referendum was held on the same day as general elections, so the amendment process must start from parliament and cannot be linked to the previous draft. When asked whether parliament must initiate the process according to a Constitutional Court ruling, the PM confirmed a Constitutional Court judgment had been issued. When pressed on whether parliament would initiate proceedings, he affirmed this was the case. The timing of the new restart process is parliament's decision, not the government's. When asked if there would be a fresh count, he said that depends on parliament, and noted that as Pheu Thai Party leader, he had previously stated certain provisions touching on Thai sovereignty should not be altered, with other matters being open for discussion. Regarding whether reratifying the old draft would proceed faster than a fresh start, he said he did not know.