Thailand receives 635 suspected scam workers from Cambodia for screening
Thai authorities received 635 suspected online scam workers from Cambodia at the border for screening and potential prosecution, following coordinated arrests at a notorious building in Poipet.
SA KAEO — Thai authorities on Thursday received 635 Thai nationals from Cambodia, suspected of involvement in online scam operations, for screening and legal action.
The group was handed over at Khlong Luek border checkpoint in Aranyaprathet district at 16:38 after delays earlier in the day. The transfer followed coordination between the Royal Thai Army and Cambodian authorities under military diplomatic procedures.
Army chief Phana Klaewplodthuk assigned officials to oversee the handover, working with the Royal Thai Police, Immigration Bureau and relevant ministries.
Authorities said all returnees had been working in the same 13-storey building, known as "Building F", opposite Rong Kluea Market in Poipet.
All individuals will undergo a detailed screening process to determine whether they were victims of trafficking or willing participants in scam operations. Officials said each person will be questioned extensively and checked for criminal records before further legal proceedings.
The operation follows a joint Thailand–Cambodia statement signed on 27 December 2025 aimed at strengthening cooperation against transnational crime, including online fraud and human trafficking.
Earlier, Cambodian officials had planned to return about 300 people in the morning, but the transfer was delayed due to a shortage of buses after large-scale arrests of scam suspects overnight, according to officials.
The handover was led by Cambodian police officials, who met Thai authorities at the border.
Thai officials said more returnees are expected as coordination continues to bring back nationals allegedly involved in scam networks.