Thai abbot wounded in shotgun attack at temple
An abbot at a Kamphaeng Phet temple was shot 16 times by an unidentified attacker who entered through a rear door of his quarters on May 17, leaving him seriously injured. Police are investigating the motive, as the respected monk reported
KAMPHAENG PHET — An abbot was seriously injured after unidentified attackers opened fire on him inside his temple residence in Kamphaeng Phet province, leaving him with 16 gunshot wounds, police said.
The attack took place at about 21:00 on 17 May 2026 at Wat Krajom Thong in Ang Thong subdistrict, Muang district, Kamphaeng Phet province.
Phra Athikan Boonlert Akapunyo, abbot of the temple, was inside his quarters performing routine religious duties when an unknown assailant entered through a rear door and opened fire, according to his account from his hospital bed.
The abbot said he did not know the identity of the attacker or the motive behind the shooting. He believed the weapon may have been a homemade firearm.
After being shot, he managed to walk outside his quarters and call for help before fellow monks and villagers rushed him to hospital for emergency treatment.
Doctors found bullet wounds across his body, including near his right ear, shoulder blade, shoulder and right hip, with a total of 16 entry marks. He remains under close medical supervision.
The abbot said he could not think of anyone who might wish to harm him, saying he had no known disputes or serious conflicts. While some people had occasionally borrowed small amounts of money from him, he said the sums involved were minor and unlikely to have led to a violent attack.
The shooting has shocked monks and residents, who described the abbot as a respected community figure who lived simply and had no known quarrels.
Investigators from Muang Kamphaeng Phet Police Station noted that a pit bull kept by the abbot near the entrance to his quarters did not bark during the attack. Police also found that CCTV cameras inside the quarters and around the temple grounds were out of order.
Police have gathered evidence, questioned witnesses and are reviewing nearby surveillance footage as they search for the suspects.
In the latest development, investigators summoned all monks from Wat Krajom Thong for detailed questioning to examine possible leads, including whether the attacker had entered or surveyed the temple beforehand, or whether internal disputes or other grievances may have played a role.
The temple remained quiet on 18 May 2026, with the abbot's quarters sealed off behind police tape as monks and devotees visited the site.
A 60-year-old lay caretaker, identified only as Chalo, or "Odd", said he was shocked to learn of the attack. He described the abbot as kind to both monks and villagers, adding that while people occasionally borrowed money from him, he did not involve himself in others' personal affairs.
The caretaker said the temple's CCTV system had previously functioned but could no longer record because its memory device had expired. He also said the pit bull remained calm when close to the abbot but would bark and behave aggressively when separated from him.