PM Anuthín Insists Thais Must Get Free World Cup 2026 Broadcast; Cabinet Already Informed
Prime Minister Anuthín insists Thailand must broadcast the 2026 FIFA World Cup for free to all citizens, with the cabinet already informed and the government coordinating with regulators to secure rights.
At 12:30 p.m. on May 12, 2026, at Government House, Prime Minister Anuthín Charnvirakul and Minister of Interior revealed that the cabinet has acknowledged the matter of live-broadcasting the 2026 FIFA World Cup. The government will make every effort to ensure this occurs, with the Public Relations Department coordinating with the National Broadcasting and Telecommunications Commission (NBTC) to execute the plan as has been done previously.
When reporters asked whether the government would purchase the broadcast rights itself or allow private companies to acquire them, the Prime Minister stated that implementation details should be handled by the responsible parties.
When pressed on whether Thai citizens would definitely get to watch the World Cup for free, the Prime Minister firmly stated: "It must be free."
Meanwhile, Digital Economy and Society Minister Chaiyachon Chidchob, referring to the cabinet's approval of a 1.3 billion baht budget for the 2026 World Cup broadcast, said he is not directly overseeing this matter and suggested asking others for details. Regarding how much the NBTC's budget will contribute, he said he would wait to see the final outcome, but the matter has already entered cabinet consideration. He added that his deputy minister would provide clarification.
When pressed again on whether Thais would definitely get to watch the World Cup, Chaiyachon laughed and said: "I think they probably will."