Wife of 23 years dumped for monk in shocking affair claim
A Prachin Buri woman alleges her husband of 23 years left her for a Buddhist monk, sparking online debate about monastic conduct and public trust in the clergy.
NAKHON RATCHASIMA, 4 May 2026 — A woman from Prachin Buri has come forward with allegations that her husband of 23 years left her after engaging in a relationship with a Buddhist monk, in a case that has sparked widespread debate online.
The story first surfaced on a Facebook page, which claimed the woman was left shocked after discovering the alleged relationship. The post said she was also asked to accept a three-person relationship, prompting her to leave home with just 6,000 baht to start a new life.
The allegations quickly drew strong reactions from social media users, with many criticising the conduct of both the man and the monk, saying it could constitute a serious breach of monastic discipline.
Reporters visited a temple in Nakhon Ratchasima on Monday to verify the claims. A monk there said he had only briefly seen the individual mentioned, describing him as reclusive and rarely interacting with others. He added that the monk had not been seen at the temple recently and confirmed he was not affiliated with the temple.
The Nakhon Ratchasima Provincial Office of Buddhism later identified the monk as Phra Phonchai, around 30 years old, who was ordained in 2024 at a temple in Phra Thong Kham district.
Officals said he is currently registered at a temple in Det Udom district, Ubon Ratchathani province, and had previously studied Buddhist scriptures at Wat Bueng Phra Aram Luang in July 2025, but was not formally affiliated with the temple.
Authorities said they were unaware of his personal conduct and could not confirm the allegations. They added that coordination with relevant offices in Ubon Ratchathani was under way to establish the facts and take appropriate action.
In a separate statement, Wat Bueng Phra Aram Luang clarified that the monk mentioned in reports was not part of its clergy, but had only temporarily stayed to study and had left the temple in October 2025.
The temple stressed that any alleged behaviour was a personal matter and not connected to the institution, urging the public to await verification by relevant authorities.
The case continues to draw attention, with questions raised over its potential impact on public confidence in the Buddhist clergy.