Cambodian Soldiers Fire Daily Provocations! Thai Military Says It Understands Their Game, No Heavy Weapons Detected Yet—Public Urged Not to Panic
Thailand's Army spokesman confirmed that Cambodian soldiers continue daily small arms fire provocations along the border in Surin Province, but stressed there is no evidence of heavy weapons deployment or intent to harm Thai civilians. The military assesses the incidents are primarily provocative harassment designed to provoke Thai retaliation for international propaganda purposes, and says Thailand fully understands Cambodia's tactics and is monitoring the situation closely.
On May 14, 2025, Thai Army spokesperson Pol. Maj. Gen. Winthai Suvarī revealed that Cambodian soldiers fired 11 rounds of small arms fire across the border at Ban Or Samet, opposite Chong Jom border checkpoint in Gapcheng District, Surin Province. He noted a pattern where Cambodian senior commanders and government officials speak one way publicly but act differently on the ground.
Since the ceasefire, gunfire and occasional explosions continue regularly along the border, which the spokesperson characterizes as provocative behavior designed to harass rather than cause casualties or property damage. He emphasized this is not a new occurrence but has been happening continuously along the Thai-Cambodian border, with local units reporting incidents constantly.
The main cause is assessed to be lack of discipline among Cambodian troops, though some incidents appear intentionally designed to provoke Thai retaliation that could then be used to claim Thailand fired first. The Army spokesman also noted Cambodia sometimes brings foreign media—particularly to international news outlets—close to restricted areas, and when Thai soldiers fire warning shots as protocol dictates, the footage is used to claim Thailand initiated weapons use. Thai military says it recognizes and counters these tactics.
Overall, Cambodia appears focused on an "information warfare" campaign more than military confrontation. The spokesman noted that whenever incidents occur, Cambodian leaders or military spokespeople quickly deny facts, suggesting communication and command chain problems between policy levels and field units.
When asked how Thailand would respond if shots actually impacted Thai territory despite Cambodian denials, the spokesperson said Thailand is ready to retaliate immediately, with response decisions based on the judgment of responsible units in each area, as contexts and relationships differ locally.
Regarding border residents' concerns from rapid social media reporting, the Army spokesman stressed the gunfire consists of provocative shots that don't threaten civilian lives or safety. He advised following official alerts from village headmen and local administrators—if no warning is issued, people can continue normal life.
"We confirm the military is not complacent and monitors the situation daily and weekly, but there's currently no indication of escalation to heavy weapons use. So far, communication remains Cambodia's primary tool," the spokesman stated.
On fake news and deepfakes, particularly a fabricated audio clip of the Prime Minister circulating in Cambodia about opening border checkpoints, the Army spokesman said all sectors must help educate the public. He urged citizens to follow official government information and exercise critical judgment in consuming news, as many such cases aim to damage Thailand's reputation.