Search underway after man swept away at Phuket beach
A man was swept out to sea at Nai Thon Beach in Phuket on May 15 during rough monsoon conditions, with rescuers unable to reach him due to strong currents and 2-metre waves. Search operations resumed the following morning despite severe wea
PHUKET — 16 May 2026, Rescue workers in Phuket were searching for a man believed to have been swept out to sea by strong waves at Nai Thon Beach, authorities said.
The incident occurred at about 18:30 on 15 May at the beach in Thalang district during rough monsoon conditions, with waves reported to be more than 2 metres high.
Lifeguards attempted to rescue the man but were unable to reach him because of strong currents and heavy surf, officials said. The search was temporarily suspended at 19:00 before resuming the following morning.
Search teams including local officials, police, lifeguards and rescue foundation personnel later established a command centre at Nai Thon Beach.
Authorities said severe weather conditions continued on 16 May, preventing boats from conducting offshore searches. Rescue workers instead focused on searching rocky areas and stretches of shoreline.
An 18-year-old lifeguard who witnessed the incident said he spotted a man struggling beyond the surf zone while clearing tourists from the beach shortly before sunset. The lifeguard said he ran to retrieve rescue fins, but the man disappeared before he could return, apparently pulled away by strong currents in an area known for dangerous rip tides.
Officals believe the missing person is a Thai man in his 20s who had arrived at the beach alone. Authorities said red warning flags had been placed along the beach throughout the day to prohibit swimming because of hazardous monsoon conditions.
Police later discovered a silver Toyota Camry with Chiang Rai licence plates parked near the beach and believe it may belong to the missing man. The vehicle was taken to Sakhu police station as authorities attempted to identify and contact relatives.