Sawaeng Says He's Awaiting Statements from 5 Witnesses in Barcode Ballot Case, Reiterates Election Commission Fighting with Truth, Dismisses Somchai's Planned Defamation Countersuit
The Election Commission is gathering witness statements from five experts to defend itself in a Constitutional Court case over barcode ballots, with Secretary-General Sawaeng dismissing a former member's planned defamation countersuit as ro
May 16, 2026 — Sawaeng Boonmee, Secretary-General of the Election Commission (EC), addressed the submission of clarifications to the Constitutional Court regarding the barcode and QR code ballot case. In matters for which the EC office is responsible as a defendant, the Constitutional Court sent a letter last week requesting that witness statements cited by the EC be submitted back within 15 days.
Currently, the EC is in the process of collecting witness statements from 5 individuals: four are lawyers or those involved in drafting the constitution, and one is a technology expert.
When asked whether the EC's main argument revolves around the issue of secrecy, Sawaeng stated, "We fight with the truth. We bring truth to our defense."
Regarding former EC member Somchai Srisuthiyakorn's letter requesting 20 documents related to the barcode case, Sawaeng said he has not yet seen the letter but understands that Somchai requested documents. He noted that the EC must follow procedures regarding document requests and that some EC documents, such as procurement records, have already been publicly disclosed.
The EC continues to maintain that it operates under public scrutiny and follows the law. The commission awaits the outcome of the case.
Sawaeng also addressed the EC's filing of charges against 6 individuals, noting that three months have passed without formal charges being filed. These cases are currently at the investigation stage. He stressed that these prosecutions are not part of evidence to prove the EC is attempting to keep elections secret, but rather efforts to protect the electoral process itself, not the EC.
Regarding reports that Somchai plans to file a defamation suit against the EC next week, Sawaeng expressed indifference, noting that the EC is regularly sued.
Concerning the We Watch group's call to drop charges against protesters in Chonburi's District 1 election protest, Sawaeng reaffirmed that the EC's actions aim to protect the electoral process, which belongs to the people, not the EC. The EC has a duty to ensure elections proceed smoothly, and all citizens must operate within the law.