Trump 'Delays Iran Attack' at Gulf Nations' Request - Says Good Chance of Reaching Deal
Trump postponed a planned military strike on Iran after requests from Gulf leaders, saying serious negotiations offer a good chance of reaching a nuclear deal without military action.
US President Donald Trump has said he is holding off a military attack on Iran planned for Tuesday at the request of Gulf states as 'serious negotiations are now taking place.' In a post on Truth Social, he said he had been asked to do so by the leaders of Qatar, Saudi Arabia and the United Arab Emirates, and that he has been informed there will be a highly favorable agreement for the United States, with 'no nuclear weapons for Iran.' However, the US leader warned he is ready to launch a full-scale and more intense attack on Iran immediately if an acceptable agreement is not reached.
Trump told reporters there are many positive developments but it remains to be seen what results they will yield. 'We've had times when we thought we were close to a deal but it didn't work out. This time is a bit different,' Trump said, noting it appears there is a good chance of reaching an agreement with Iran. 'If we can do it without dropping bombs on them, I'd be very happy.'
On May 17, Trump warned Iran that time is running out and the country should act quickly or there will be nothing left. Iran previously stated it had accepted the latest US proposal and negotiations continue through Pakistan, which is serving as a mediator.
Reports also indicate that on the evening of May 18, Iran's Tasnim News Agency released what it claimed was a statement from Supreme Leader Ayatollah Khamenei, warning that new fronts would open in areas where enemies have little experience and would be very vulnerable. Meanwhile, Iranian Foreign Ministry spokesman Ismail Baghaei confirmed that Iran is acting responsibly and with generosity. Iran's demands include an immediate ceasefire on all fronts, including Israel's continued attacks on Hezbollah in Lebanon, an end to the US naval blockade of Iranian ports, and guarantees against future attacks on Iran.
These developments coincide with the release of Trump's declining approval ratings, with a New York Times/Siena poll published Monday, May 18, finding that 64 percent of voters believe war with Iran would be wrong.